Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Full time and all that

So I got the news last week that I will be teaching full time in the fall. YAY! I will desperately miss teaching with Katie Senn but fortunately I'll be just across the hall so we can just stretch the umbilical cord instead of cutting it completely. We may be back together next year depending on the budgets - we are only guaranteed this full time for this year. Next year we could be back to 1/2 time.

In the meantime, I have a classroom to prepare. It's been many years since I've had to fill my own classroom with decorations and supplies - so it's thrift store time! I'll be out looking for book shelves, posters, books etc. I gave all that away when I left teaching to stay home with the girls all those years ago. When I came back, I took over for another teacher who left all her supplies and then I taught with Katie who already had everything..... It's going to be fun though. Getting a classroom ready for the start of school is so exciting for me. That was one of the things I missed the most when I stopped teaching.

I have to be careful not to lose my summer in the excitement of preparing for the year. We still have 4th of July at the cabin and then our week's vacation there a couple weeks later. We're also going to North Star for a few days and I head to Chicago on July 23rd for a 4 days to work a program for Corporate Kids Events. I'm reading the Stone Diaries for book club and need to be sure to take the time to relax and read!

Our summer ends pretty early because of high school tennis for Bailie. Clearance day is August 6 and tryouts start the 17th....

I'm still busy being on the board of the Sierra School of Performing Arts. I love all the people I work with on that board. It's a great organization and I feel proud to be part of it.

I leave today to pick up Kate. She's been in Ashland, Ore with my parents having the time of her life. I'm sure it's going to be an adjustment being back to boring old home! :-) I've really missed her - can't wait to have back.

Soooo, I'm so relieved to be making full time pay this year - it will take some of the pressure off our finances. How lucky am I to be making money doing something I love so much? (Remind me I said that during CRT testing and the other stressful times during the school year. :-) )

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Congratulations on going full time! I'm sure Sally is thrilled to have you. I know the parents are!
Just drove from Ashland today. Yikes, what a trip. I'm wondering which way you go.
Have a great 4th. Funny to think that we're coming to Reno to get away, and you're leaving it.

The Katich Family said...

Hey there, I did not know you had this blog...sneaky! Well maybe not so sneakly but I'm glad to follow a fellow blog-ette! You are such a good writer and I will enjoy reading your whimsey's. congrats on the new classroom. What grade? I'm thrilled for you and a wee bit jealous. I loved those days and often pine away for them.
Leslie

Troy-Michelle Reinhardt said...

Leslie- I'll be teaching 4th grade again. I didn't realize how much I'd missed teaching until the year I took over for Wyatt's class. I'm glad it was such a good class, I'm not sure I would have loved it so much if it weren't for that group.
LOVED Kristin's entry on the blog this week. She had me in tears - she is very eloquent. (She must have gotten that from her mom!) How is Wyatt's ankle?