Thursday, September 11, 2008

Back Again

It's been a while. I've been busy getting back into the swing of school and work. I find so much comfort in routine. I like having my calendar out - seeing what's happening when, knowing what to expect. I dream about being spontaneous, foot loose and fancy free - but the reality is, I can only handle that in brief spurts.

There's no escaping the presidential election and since this is my blog - I'm going to vent about this. Anyone who knows me knows I'm an Obama fan through and through. I really like Joe Biden too, so it's clear where my vote is dedicated. I do have disappointments about how his adds are currently turning too negative. I don't mind a negative ad if it is tempered with information about how the candidate it supports can do better. Negative for the sake of negative just pisses me off.

I've been having debates with my trainer (yes, I go to a trainer - no it isn't obvious in my appearance, but it is in my strength and stamina. :-)) about who would be our next president. He is someone I respect as a trainer , but his views frighten me. I'm guessing mine frighten him so it all balances out. However, the things I hear from him, seem to be the general Republican view of "every man for himself" and that America is superior to all other countries. I agree that we need to work on a society that is filled with problem solvers and thinkers vs one that us filled with people who want to be taken care of - however, we are all human beings. This isn't a bleeding heart thought - it is reality. Oy, I'm starting to get angry just typing this. I have a problem articulating my thoughts when I get this frustrated.

This came up this morning because it is September 11th and my 6th grader was instructed to wear red white and blue today. She had lots of questions because she was so young when the twin towers were attacked. The point I really wanted her to understand is that we have an opportunity to create a future that will mean her children won't be reading about more violence in their history books. If we all made more effort to communicate, to see both sides of issues - even when we don't agree - maybe we could get to that place - REALLY GET THERE - where we all use our words instead of guns. Why is that so unrealistic?

I'm rambling and not making clear arguments. My heart aches for all the families who are missing their loved ones today - either because they lost them 7 years ago, or because they lost them recently or because they are away fighting the war - it was a sad and horrible tragedy.

Maybe the lesson we all need to remember today is the importance of enjoying each moment, telling the people we love how we feel, no wasting energy on fear or anger. Let's not focus or perpetuate fear - let's celebrate life and each moment well lived......

No comments: