Thursday, July 10, 2008

Economy Sermon

Dan drove up last night and we enjoyed some lasagna that was supposed to be for book club and watched some DVDs of the Showtime series's - Weeds and Californication. We don't get Showtime but I had heard a lot about these series and since we don't get cable at all at the cabin - I thought it might be fun to watch these. They are very well written. The dialogue is witty, quick and sharp. They use the "F" word a little more than my liking - not that I don't partake in a little trashy mouth on occasion - it is just used as often as most of us may use the word "is".

I got a letter from my oldest from camp. It wasn't the cheeriest of letters. I wanted to drive to camp, scoop her up and let her know mommy would take care of everything. Fortunately, common sense prevailed and I only wrote her a long letter about finding the positives, the experience being what she makes it etc. It sounds like she and her younger sister are comforting each other a lot - which if that is the only thing that comes out of this camp, it is worth the money we paid. :-) They are so funny together - typical siblings. One minute they are laughing, sharing secrets - the next they are screaming and pulling hair. I'd love more of the first....

Yesterday I watched a gray squirrel work very hard to eat out of my bird feeder. This morning there are a zillion jays all around it. I have seen what we call the "cheeseburger bird" (because it's song sounds like "cheeeeese buurr g er" ) eating there - but those nasty, big, and mean jays tend to dominate. But guess what - on my way back from the mail box (it is several miles from my house) I saw ANOTHER TURKEY! It was hanging out with a couple of deer. I think someone may have put food out - a major no no - and they were all feasting together. Very trippy!

The smoke is pretty hideous yet again. But at least it cooled off quite a bit after sundown last night. It has been ridiculously hot - about 10 degrees cooler than the valley, but still too hot. No one up here has air conditioning - it is rarely needed - but man it would nice to have right now!

I met a lady who is trying to keep her book store open in the current economy. Her determination was inspiring. She focused on the positives - which is so important right now. We could all sit around complaining about the gas prices, and the domino affect that has on the rest of the prices - which believe me, I am feeling - but maybe this is our opportunity as a community, and country to count our blessings. If we vibrate gratefulness as a whole, things may turn around in spite of our current ignorant leader. :-) Plus, (I know, I'm getting preachy - but it's my blog, indulge me!) this is a chance to support each other and help where help is needed. Ask your neighbors if you can pick anything up at the store for them if you're going -save them the gas. Find those little ways to make the day better for someone you know who needs it. It all vibrates back to you......whatever you put out there, good or bad, it comes back to you.....

Okay, done with my sermon!

No comments: