Monday, July 14, 2008

My adventure continues

I've moved from solitude to couple time. I think it has been since before children that we have had so much time alone. Thanks to my parents and good friends, we have had get aways and time alone - but not for such an extended period of time. It has been great. We have eaten at restaurants up here that we've always talked about but in which we have never set foot. We have driven up roads just to see where they lead. We went to a "Solar Cook Off" in Taylorsville, CA. It is between Quincy and Lake Almanor. Thousands of people camp, cook with their solar cookers, listen to live bands, shop at the vendors selling tie die and jewelry... very few bras to be found, and I'm pretty sure if we searched the suitcases, the women did not own razors. We strolled around trying to look like we attend these things every weekend, but I have no doubt that people were pointing and whispering at the newbies who were faking it. Of course, there also seemed to be a lot of haze that wasn't just the smoke from the nearby fires, so maybe they didn't notice us at all. :-) It was an excellent people watching event and the music was great.

Speaking of music, we also went to the live music in the park that they have here on Friday nights. We got to watch and listen to Soljibe - a fabulous Reno band. They were great! As it got dark, all the kids were throwing glow necklaces in the air all around us - just missing the bats that were flying low...

I'm looking forward to checking the mail box to hear from the girls. Bailie writes a lot - Kate, not so much. I hope that means she's too busy having fun. I get this ache in my chest with missing them. I'm trying to focus on enjoying each moment of couple time - which I am certainly doing - but I get this occasional lost feeling - I compare it to what I hear people who have lost a limb feel - that phantom limb thing - it's like they are there but they're not. Okay - not the healthiest analogy - but you get what I mean. I'm looking forward to being able to wrap my arms around them.

Today we are heading to one of my old stomping grounds - I haven't been there since I was in high school (yes - a VERY long time ago!). We camped there when I was a kid. Little Grass Valley/LaPorte. We'll see where this journey takes us - we may find a road we haven't explored yet.

I'm reading a FABULOUS book - Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn - I don't know how it ends but as of right now, I would highly recommend it. It is written by Kris Radish - she also wrote The Elegant Gathering of White Snows. I'm sensing a theme of the strength of women and friendships. I would love to hear about other books with this theme if you know of any. (Another I read was Same Sweet Girls)

I feel like I'm in another world rather than just an hour from my normal life. I'm so grateful I have this time and space to experience this. I wish this for everyone.

2 comments:

Little City Cookies LLC said...

Hi Troy,
Thanks for the invitation to your blog. I enjoy your writing - going to have to have you come in and give my 5th graders a mini-lesson! Summer is going well with classes at UNR. I managed to get away and finally visit Bodie, CA. It's one of those places I pass everytime I visit So. Cal. and think to myself, "I have to go and see that one day." Well, I did it and it was fabulous! Stepped back into a simpler time rich with history.... The park rangers, upon hearing that my friend and I were teachers, opened up the school house and let us look around. So much has changed and yet, so much is still the same. Have a relaxing summer and I'm sure I'll see you soon!
Susan Y

Troy-Michelle Reinhardt said...

Susan,
Dan and the girls and I have been to Bodie -isn't is amazing? We did the same thing, drove past it on our way to Mammoth or Yosemite and finally decided to stop.
I'm glad you got to stop and experience it. I so admire you and the classes you are taking - you and Allison. I should get on the unit band wagon.....
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Troy